Re: non-x window manager

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: non-x window manager
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:46:43 +0800

On 2003-10-22 09:25:17 +0800 Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:08:01 +0800
"Rogelio M.Serrano Jr." <rogelio@smsglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
That means an x backend will have an integrated x window manager and a directfb backend will also have its integrated window manager? How would legacy x11 programs with direct dependencies on x work on a direcfb system?

You would have to ask someone with experience using or programming
directfb. As far as I know, directfb still uses/needs/relies on X11. But
I could be wrong.

Directfb can work without X now and it has an integrated window manager. I wonder if someone is writing a backend for directfb.

I used to work with xdirectfb. Alpha blended windows is cool!

Generally, the problem would be that you will have to somehow "map" a
legacy window (one created XCreateSimpleWindow() for example) to a
window that GNUstep knows/understands, ie. NSWindow.

The AppKit (-gui) doesn't provide anything like that, so you will have
to go to a lower level, which is -back.

How about extending AppKit?

I'm not sure if anything like it exists, that could already be used, but
if not, you would have to write your own conversion.
In the end you'd probably have to write a complete backend (or "hack up"
an already existing one).

Dont know much about gnusteb-back but it would be a good start to "hack up" an existing backend.