Re: RSS/RDF Aggregator

From: nicolas
Subject: Re: RSS/RDF Aggregator
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:37:56 +0200

Selon ibotty <me@ibotty.net>:

> >>  However, as I said, NSWorkspace (in GNUstep) doesn't implement
> >> opening of NSURLs. So, don't expect to see anything more besides the
> >> headlines - that is, until someone implements this functionality.
> > Would anyone be willing to implement this properly under GNUstep?
>
> i was very keen on implementing a vfs (virtual filesystem in desktop- ,
not
> in kernel context) in gnustep, but was ...ehem.. discouraged by the
> 'community'.

Well, imho here we aren't really talking about VFS ...but simply of a
method to open the right application according to the URL.

> btw: this part of the community is why i do not write anything for the
> gnustep project anymore (well, lack of time is also a factor, but
> threatening and very inpolite mails also do not attract new developer).
> as soon as someone questions one single aspect of openstep (the api),
[s]he
> is flamed by a large group of old steppers.

That's true ... but it's important to generally stick with OpenStep/NeXT
point of view -- that's what we want, no ? not a KDE clone...
In the same time, some ideas are perhaps wrongly trashed, such as VFS.

It's always a delicate balance to choose between conservative point of
view and innovative pov. Sometimes it's good to change the old way :-)
but many others times sticking with OpenStep way / philosophy is better.
Having some steppers around is then good.

What I heard against VFS was mostly about the visual representation for
the file manager : ie, that it could leads to replace GWorkspace.app UI
with a browser-metaphor UI. The other thing was that theorically VFS
shouldn't be the GNUstep job, but the kernel job. Problem is that GNUstep
is theorically multiplatform ...

My opinion here is that I agree with the idea that GWorkspace shouldn't
be the placeholder for all URL (as konqueror is). But in the same time,
it would be great to have a unified method to /open/ URLs with the right
application ! So we could let the user choose its prefered app, etc.
It's not much about a VFS here. A VFS should have more to do with NSFile;
and perhaps it could also be interesting to have a common method to let
applications add "VFS" capacities to NSFile (that is, a WebDav app could
add HTTP PUT to NSFile for example). It could be done in bundles instead
of apps too...

> anyway. if there is interest in a vfs, i would be glad to provide a
starting
> point. (i have the interfaces and a sample file: and imap:
implementation.)

--
Nico