Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:59:20 +0200

"Philippe C.D. Robert" wrote:
> Dennis Leeuw wrote:
[snip]
> IMHO the real problem is that GNUstep is only promoted as development
> environment. I never understood the reasoning behind this strategy, but
> so it is. Personally I doubt that there are many developers out there
> who are interested in writing code for an API which is not part of an
> entire desktop solution and/or does not fit nicely into existing
> environments (in these days).

But there are such developers, and although I have little personal
interest in it, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to use
GNUstep that way. Thus, GNUstep is a development environment. IMO, it
should remain that way; the constraints we have on GNUstep (in terms of
portability and other demands) effectively prevent it from becoming a
good desktop. (In fact, adding desktop-level features just makes it
harder for the actual desktops to do it properly.)

If you're interested in a desktop environment using GNUstep, Backbone is
one (that I and a few others are working on), SimplyGNUstep is one
(sortof) (and LinuxSTEP included one). All are in development. If you
find one you like, you're very welcome to help. :-)

- Alexander Malmberg