Re: Makefiles and system architectures

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Makefiles and system architectures
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:52:18 +0200

Maybe I should explain a bit on what I want to try to accomplish:
I would like to create a Demo CD with a GNUstep system. The scripting part is done and the CD works. But all is now i686 optimized and I would like to build everything for e.g. i386 so that the CD works for all ix86 architectures.

Instead of setting the environment flags I would like to incorporate them somehow within the Makefile system, so that the resulting CD will also compile code with the set architecture.

Greetings,

Dennis

Nicola Pero wrote:
Hi Nicola,

Just a question to make sure that what I am thinking is correct:

When I build gnustep-make with the -march and -mcpu switches, are these then used for EVERY subproject? Meaning all of GNUstep and Apps is build with these switches?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean with your question :-),
but I understand you're trying to set flags when you compile gnustep-make
hoping those would be used in all gnustep projects being compiled, and I
don't seem to remember an easy way of doing it.

You can set CFLAGS when configuring gnustep-make, but no, they don't get
stored in the make system for later use, and they are not used later.

There are quite a few things which could be done -

- you could set the flags when compiling gnustep-base and have them end up in base.make from where they should be used whenever gnustep-base is used

 - if you are talking of target-specific flags which would be of general
use, they could be added in target.make to the specific target, then
gnustep-make automatically would use them for that target.  I don't think
-march and -mcpu are the case though, as probably GCC's default
-march/-mcpu should be left as default (if the default is not good, GCC
itself should be fixed)

 - if you're hacking your own personal machine to experiment with
something, you can easily add the flags by manually adding them in
$(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/config.make

 - if it's a common requirements that people might want to set a few very
custom flags (say, optimization ones ?) when configuring gnustep-make so
that they are used whenever gnustep-make is used to compile, we could
modify gnustep-make's ./configure to support an option of that sort

Let me know what you think.