Re: Ann: Build Guide version 1.6.0

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Ann: Build Guide version 1.6.0
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:20:55 +0200

Hi,

Just a question...

On 2003-10-16 16:50:54 +0200 Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:

I can announce the GNUstep Build Guide version 1.6.0

Changes:
Dependency versions updated to the latest and the greatest

Would it be possible to move all dependencies in the BuildGuide
(http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/index.html) at the bottom? Reason is: "I want
to install GNUstep, not make nor binutils, not even iconv, what I do not know what it
is". I think, what you need is to put a list of required libs/tools/packages with
their versions in some table, and then immediately go to the GNUstep installation. There
should be a note, that if something goes wrong, then there should be some dependencies
problems, and the user that is installing should reffer to the appendix/later part of the
document to resolve problems.

I understand, that one needs all that stuff, but "GNUstep installation guide" should be
mainly about "GNUstep installation", not installation of GNUstep dependecies. And the
first-commer can get not very nice impression by seeing all those stuff he must go before he gets
to the GNUstep. Installation of other packages is not important to gnustep, even they are required.
It is likely, that most of them are already installed on users machine. Maybe a small detail, but i
think it should be very discouraging.

I would suggest following order:

- very brief note about dependecies with short dependecies table with package
name and version
- immediate GNUstep installation guide
- resolution of dependencies

Go to the GNUstep installation as soon as possible. Solve problems later, but
make user aware of possible problems and let him know where is the solution.

Anyway, I think that the guide is great,

Stefan
--
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.