Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:27:19 +0200

Philippe C.D. Robert writes:
> Hi,
>
> Dennis Leeuw wrote:
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > An important note: the Users of GNUstep are developers. GNUstep is a
> > development environment. That's the problem.
>
> IMHO the real problem is that GNUstep is only promoted as development
> environment. I never understood the reasoning behind this strategy, but
> so it is. Personally I doubt that there are many developers out there
> who are interested in writing code for an API which is not part of an
> entire desktop solution and/or does not fit nicely into existing
> environments (in these days).
>
> Let me give an example, many ex OpenStep developers and maybe even Cocoa
> developers were(are?) interested in porting their stuff to GNUstep
> (mostly running under X11) assuming it would be some sort of an OPENSTEP
>   or Mac OS X replacement. Something which makes them independent from
> NeXT or Apple, something which gives them a real alternative. But what
> they actually find is a set of libraries which allows them to port their
> apps, but which does not (and IMHO cannot really) integrate into the
> environment of choice (GNOME, KDE, CDE ... ) - be it because of
> different philosophies (GUI) or implementation "details" (eg. copy and
> paste and so on). As a result only a few really spend time working with
> GNUstep because GNUstep as such is not the alternative most of them are
> looking for. At least this is my experience...
>
> To make it short I believe that GNUstep would be far more successful if
> it was "only" a X11 based desktop solution than a crossplattform API
> which has to integrate into other desktops. But this discussion is an
> old one and off topic anyway, I guess. So excuse me for writing this,
> but I just had to ... :-)

Personnaly, I  look forward  to be  able to run  GNUstep as  a desktop
replacement (and GWorkspace as a replacement of the Finder!) on Darwin
(MacOSX).   I can't  wait to  have WindowMaker  dock in  lieu  of that
wobbling mass passing for a dock in MacOSX.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/