Re: Shared application menu

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Shared application menu
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:45:11 +0700

Dirk Olmes wrote:

The bleeding eyes comment was more targeted at the proposed location of the toolbar: top of the screen. Or did I misunderstand your original post in that respect?

Correct. I suggested the top of the screen. In my opinion, the tool bar on the top of each window is mimicking MS Windows' tool bar. Which is harder to locate your mouse on it (than one at the top edge of the screen). Tool bar at the top of screen is not a new innovation. You'll see similar interfaces in some existing apps such as Acrobat Reader (however, it is not really on the top of the screen because the area was occupied by the 'horizontal menu' and this results the app's tool bar can not take fully advantage of the edge of the screen)

The downside of this interface is that size of tool bar is very limited. You simply can not put a too height material (for example, putting 2 horizontal sliders laying vertically) This could make porting some applications harder. (But in my opinion, it is still better than just keep walking blindly after Aqua)

Yes, I like that configurability it could be taken even further: why not let the poweruser make her own toolbar buttons and attach custom actions to it. StepTalk comes to mind immediately ...

Possibly may be.