Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Martin Herbert Dietze
Subject: Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:21:13 +0200

Chad Hardin <cehardin@mac.com> wrote:

> The filesystem layout is designed to be very logical and easy for the
> average user to understand.  That is a really great feature of GNUstep
> (from the users perspective), which would be a shame to remove.

I don't think this argument still holds in times of packet
managers. Yes, on my OS/2 box I still have to keep the file
system tidy by installing applications in their own
subdirectories etc., but I don't find this more logical and
easy, it just blows up the list of environment variables.

On my Linux box however, there is now harm in putting things
into `/usr/bin', `/usr/lib' etc., since the packet manager
makes sure that no files get overwritten, that everything can
be cleanly removed if not needed anymore, even that inter-
packet dependencies are considered.

I second the OP's point. It should be possible to integrate
GNUstep more smoothly into an ordinary Unix directory tree.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Die Freiheit ist uns ein schoenes Weib.