Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Matthias Klose
Subject: Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:31:45 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:
> Sounds cool to me. I'd like to see an easy-to-install and/or
> pre-compiled collection of GNUstep apps and libraries.

Doesn't sound cool at all.

- Debian does have "an easy-to-install and/or pre-compiled collection
  of GNUstep apps and libraries". Why another set?

- assume he makes his packages for one architecture, he's missing
  six other archs.

The thing he doesn't like are the unusual/unfriendly places (called
the Unix File System Hierarchy (FHS)). Some time before the KDE people
didn't like, now someone from the GNUstep community doesn't like
it. If you know of a better schema which fits the FHS, please let us
know.

Currently, the gnustep related packages are mostly maintained by Eric
Heintzmann (not yet a Debian developer, but sponsored by another
developer).

        Matthias

On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 09:30 PM, Chad Hardin wrote:
> The burden of creating a completely new dsitro, by my self :-(, has
> become way too hard. At the current pace it simply would never get
> done!
>

> So, I've decided to go on a new route:
>
> I'm gonna make it a Debian Sarge based distro. Not a fork, just
> regular Debian with extra packages and a different install disc. There
> already is some gnustep deb stuff, but the Debian filesystem rules
> makes it strange because the gnustep stuff get's installed in strange
> places, as many of you know. I plan on making gnustep .deb packages
> which install in more user-friendly places, like /System, /Network,
> etc.
>
> Right now I'm making a .deb called sgstep-gnustep-make, which installs
> in / and of course allows applications to be installed there too. I'm
> thinking this is the only SGSTEp specific .dsc I'l have to make, since
> the other .dscs will build and install according to whatever makefile
> package builder's current gnustep-make has in place.
>
> My hope is that once this is done, I can start making all kinds of
> other gnustep .dsc's which will work on both regular Debian and
> SGSTEP. hopefully I can start maintainging a lot of Debian GNUstep
> stuff.
>

> So, my question is, is this cool? Does anybody mind me becoming a
> Debian package maintainer for most (all?) gnustep stuff out there? I'm
> up to it.

what do you mean by "becoming a Debian package maintainer"? you are
free to provide any packages for the Debian distribution. If you want
to become a Debian developer, apply as a new maintainer at debian.org,
provided you are willing to work with the current Debian package
maintainers and follow Debian guidelines and policies.