MUST GNUstep Makefiles be called GNUmakefile?

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: MUST GNUstep Makefiles be called GNUmakefile?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:18:00 +0100

Hi,

it seems to be necessary to name a GNUstep makefile 'GNUmakefile' and nothing
else, otherwise "make" complains with

        make[1]: GNUmakefile: No such file or directory
        make[1]: *** No rule to make target `GNUmakefile'.  Stop.

Is there a political or technical reason for this? I'm asking because I'd like
to submit to the guy who wrote the "contacts" tool a Makefile which makes
compilation possible under GNUstep with MyFolks.framework. The idea is to have
a Makefile.OSX and a Makefile.GNUstep in the tar file and use "make -f
Makefile.$PLATFORM" to compile. It'd be really nice to have that.

Regards,
Björn