Re: CodeEditor 0.4.3 is released

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: CodeEditor 0.4.3 is released
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 01:57:49 +0200

Hi,

Nice to see it being faster. Good work.

I have few comments below.

On 2003-10-04 21:42:47 +0200 Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@hotmail.com> wrote:

What's different from 0.4.2 ?

<snip>

* Enable method panel to display and quick jump to methods.
This is also a proof that language bundle can parse source code
efficiently and accuratly without complicated handling.

The method panel is neat.

Would it be possible to strip all type info and leave just selector? Instead of
-(void)setObject:(id)anObject forKey:(NSString *)key there will be just
setObject:forKey:. Another things are: it should be resizable and when I select
a method I would prefer to scroll text view so the method is at the top.

CodeEditor is a text editor so that I won't address much on code parsing.
But the parsing mechanism might be suitable for other projects.

Would not it be better to leave "general purpose text editor path" in the favor
of the application name: CodeEditor which will really understand the code developer is
writing there?

Features in very distant future: find implementation of given selector.

If you want some features for CodeEditor, especially on the text view,
please let me know so that I can start "thinking" of it. :)

The tabbed editing is confusing and I would suggest removing it in the fawor of
more intelligent code organising and browsing.

I would prefer some very simple scrollabe window with similar functionality
like the Windows menu. Functionality: browser with last path component of a
filename; when single-clicked window is taken into focus. There should be
optional buttons/Popup button menu: Hide others (will hide all other windows
except  selected), Minimise selected windows (multiple selection), Close
selected windows.

Btw. if your codeeditor understands ObjC code, you can have class names in that
window instead of filenames, and by pointing on a class, corresponding window
with its implementation/interface is opened.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Stefan
--
http://urbanek.host.sk

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi