Re: question about Uncaught NSException and else

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: question about Uncaught NSException and else
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:48:03 +0100

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 02:12 AM, Derek Zhou wrote:

Hi, all
My program is randomly seeing "Uncaught exception NSLockException, reason: Thread attempted to recursively lock". However, my program does not infer any NSLock; in fact, my program is single threaded. My program does use runloop, DO and socket so each run is different. How can I get a backtrace out of the
uncaught exception? The weird thing is it runs fine in gdb.
Also, I'd like to hear some advises on tracking down memory leakage.
Thank you in advance!

I have had this problem for some months ... but occurring very infrequently and only when calling stuff from java (which is why I haven't managed to track it
down).

I can't really help with an answer, but if you can come up with any sort of
testcase which can reproduce the problem in pure ObjC code, I'd be more
than happy to take it, refine it if I can, and track down/fix the problem.

My only suggestion at this point is that it's probably some sort of race condition, so constructing some sort of system to stress the code you have might lead to the problem being reproduced in a reasonable period of time, rather than having
to leave a server running for days/weeks to get a recurrence.