Re: GnuSTEP as a desktop???

From: Eric Christopherson
Subject: Re: GnuSTEP as a desktop???
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:33:09 -0500

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:22:21PM -0700, Tetsuo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to try GnuSTEP as my desktop. I'm currently using xfce4. I want
> to know if somebody can give me is feeling about GnuSTEP as compare
> with other desktop like xfce4, gnome and kde.

Sorry this went unanswered so long. GNUstep isn't a desktop. It is just a
standard look and feel along with an API to implement that look and feel.
While there are many GNUstep programs, and the GNUstep framework enforces a
certain consistency between them, there are not a lot that are explicitly
designed to integrate into a "desktop," the way that KDE, GNOME, and XFCE
apps are.

However, there are some reasonably well-polished apps which can fill some of
the roles of a desktop. For a CLI shell or X terminal, there is
Terminal.app; for file manager/browser, there's GWorkspace; for email,
GNUMail.app; for desktop sticky notes, Affiche; etc.

Theoretically you can run those apps with any X window manager, but GNUstep
apps in general do not behave well under most of them. WindowMaker is
current the most compatible, but I have had good success with KDE's window
manager, KWin (version 3.1.3 at least). There are a few projects for new
GNUstep-friendly window managers, but they are very early in development.

--
Furrfu!         r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t