Re: PATCH: Merge objc-improvements-branch to mainline

From: Ziemowit Laski
Subject: Re: PATCH: Merge objc-improvements-branch to mainline
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:02:15 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 15:08 US/Pacific, M. Grabert wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Ziemowit Laski wrote:

On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 16:55 US/Pacific, Nicolas Roard wrote:

What I don't understand, is that we _already_ have an exception system,
so what was those requests about ?
If NS_DURING/NS_HANDLER names scared programmers, well, we could
define them as @try ... @catch :-)
But I don't see what's so interesting with the new exception system,
apart
to bring some incompatibilities ...
Someone could explain it to me ?

See previous e-mails from Stan and myself. :-)

Which reminds me, I did forget to mention yet 2 more benefits:
- The exception system will automatically mark variables volatile as
needed, so that they do not get clobbered by the _setjmp/_longjmp
interaction.
- If an exception is not handled by any of your @catch clauses, it is
automatically propagated up the call chain

All in all, it makes exceptions in ObjC much more accessible to those
coming from C++ or Java.

Well, as I understand it there is one more benefit:

- it doesn't require an OPENSTEP implementation

But as a user I actually would prefer something like

http://users.pandora.be/stes/block98/index.html

Now THAT's something many users request for objc (just search the gcc-
and GNUstep-mailing lists). I can happily live without @catch and
@throw, but "objc blocks" is something I really like to see in gcc
(in a platform independent implementation).

I must admit I've never heard a request for this from Mac OS X Objective-C users, although I realize that they comprise a mere 99% of all Objective-C
developers world-wide... :-) :-) :-)

Still, if you're willing to implement this feature, and do so in a way that does not break existing stuff, I'd personally have no objections to putting
this in.

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                 1 Infinite Loop, MS 301-2K
Mac OS X Compiler Group        Cupertino, CA USA  95014-2083
Apple Computer, Inc.           +1.408.974.6229  Fax .5477