Re: [RFC/objc] Support for 'Class <Protocol>' & frontend cleanups

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC/objc] Support for 'Class <Protocol>' & frontend cleanups
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:57:58 +0200

Hello Zem,

Ziemowit Laski wrote:

Sorry for the delay -- I was really busy with the mainline merge (the ChangeLog was a real pain :-) ).

No problem...

Anyway, I think your patch does the right thing, at least in principle.

Hmm, well they were /two/ patches, and both were actually more WIP than finished patch proposals. I wanted to know which direction I should continue.
Option 1. Make 'Class' an ObjC-Keyword (just like 'id')
Option 2. Remove 'id' as an ObjC-Keyword (and thereby simplify c-parse.in)
I'm heavily leaning towards 'Option 2', but I'm lacking the insight on the potential interference with ObjC++.

One thing that would need
improving is the test cases -- they'll need to be dg-fied (look at any .m file in gcc/testsuite/objc.dg/ to see what I mean).

(I thought I mentioned that...) :-)

Oh, and I guess you'll need a ChangeLog entry. :-(

Of course, once it is posted as an RFA.  And I do plan to split the patch:
1.) white space patch to cleanup in accordance with some GNU coding standards.
2.) renaming patch.
3.) 'Class <Protocol>'-Support patch (either 'Option 1' or 'Option 2')
4.) Deprecating '<Protocol>' as a synonym for 'id <Protocol>'
... Then I'll look into the following:
5.) Review handling of error_mark
6.) Introduce 'same_type_p' handling

So, can you re-spin it against the mainline _after_ the objc-improvements-branch work goes in (which should hopefully be tomorrow)?

Will do. Actually I had just finished bootstrapping patch 1.) (which turns out not to be a pure white space patch as I introduced a few brackets to support the auto indention) and was about to post it, but it could wait. OTOH, It may be easier to merge in now that to merge back into the branch later. It's your call, ping me when you're ready.

Cheers,
David