Re: NO! (Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?)

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: NO! (Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:59:54 -0400

Well I still disagree, but it isn't my intent to get involved in an email war, so I will make a last reply and leave it at that. As always John, it is best if you talk to a real lawyer regarding your specific situation, but I seriously doubt you will run into any trouble just because you want to make some of your programs available for GNUstep. My knowledge of the material is certainly not preventing me from using GNUstep; neither back then as a commercial entity nor now with my research.

The main reason why I am confident in my assessment is because when I wrote the windows32api library and donated it to FSF, I talked at length with rms and FSF's lawyer because I didn't want Microsoft coming after FSF due to copyright infringement. I encourage you to read the document in that distribution which explains why I took the approach I did in order to minimize the risk, but as the lawyer was keen to point out if MS wants to sue then they will sue regardless. The discussion with the lawyer was enlightening because it cleared up a number of misconceptions that are common:

* Names, like functions names, class names, structures, definitions, etc. can all be copyrighted. Obviously it would be difficult to copyright a single word. The copyright becomes stronger when they are included together in a composite work such as an API.

* What the law is very clear about is that original written expressions are most definitely protected by copyright law. A document describing an API like WIN32 or OpenStep is clearly an original written expression, and it most definitely is protected by copyright law.

* The law is vague and lacks clear precedence about copyrighted "look and feel". Most people, and I did with the lawyer, point out the old Lotus 123 case. Understand that that case was along time ago, and it was won by a slim majority. However, it won based upon the concept of "look and feel" not upon a programming interface. It was a difficult case because the judges didn't know how to apply law that was geared towards written words to a graphical interface. Since then there have been many lawsuits regarding look and feel copyrights (do a google search on 'legal look feel' to get many hits); these cases have gone both ways and is still a raging debate. Extending these decisions to APIs, even if the API is for a graphics, is a bit of a stretch.

* There are numerous instances where APIs are clearly considered confidential trade-secrets and the copyright owners will vigorously defend its rights. A recent example are DVDs; you are not allowed to write a program which will read (decrypt) a DVD without a license, as that one russian? guy discovered. A DVD isn't strictly an API, but it could be considered an advanced data structure which are often part of APIs. IBM is another company which keeps some of its APIs close to the breast; they've gone after numerous companies who have duplicated their mainframe and minicomputer APIs, both software and hardware.

* Translation, rearrangement, compilation, etc. maintains the original copyright. So if you wrote a program which read in the OpenStep spec, did some fancy translation work, then spit out a rearranged version; that output is still covered by the original copyright. Most of these actions produce a composite work of multiple copyrights; the original plus yours for the "original translation". This is why you find that special clause in the GPL about how the license does not apply to OS libraries; because most programs need to #include in a system header file (copyrighted by the OS owner) and therefore the resultant compiled code is a composite work.

Anyways, what I took from my discussions with the lawyer is that APIs are well protected by copyright law.

The notion of a "derivative work" just confuses the issue. If you are talking about infringing on a copyright then the minimal action to infringe is to include portions of that copyrighted work in your own work. Take a look at any of the major header files in GNUstep, you will find portions of the OpenStep (method names, class names, structures, etc) specification. This is clearly inclusion of significant if not all of the OpenStep copyrighted material.

Even though the OpenStep specification was published as an "open" (whatever that means) standard; it was never released under a license which essentially allowed GNUstep to incorporate that API into its header files. Implementation has nothing to do with it because the issue isn't about the implementation source code, the infringement is in the header files.

Personally, seeing GNUstep track Cocoa is worrisome to me; it keeps GNUstep on Apple's radar screen. Obviously I can understand the reasons why people want to do that. I would much prefer to see GNUstep slowly go its own way, but then I'm busy developing other free software and just a GNUstep user these days. :-)

cheers
Scott