The need for an integrated PDF reader/Implementation of NSPDFImageRep

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: The need for an integrated PDF reader/Implementation of NSPDFImageRep
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:34:43 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I was just tossing this around in my brain, but I wanted to mention it.

Currently, one way to implement NSPDFImageRep is by using ghostscript.  Using
ghostscript to implement this would have some advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:

1) The PDF code in ghostscript is tested and works.
2) ghostscript is GPL and copyright is owned by the FSF

Disadvantages:

1) ghostscript is an external program
2) slow

Would it be better to use ghostscript or to implement our own internal PDF
reader based on it?

Later, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/laafs/petition.html
--- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---