Re: Internationalisation and fonts - a suggestion

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Internationalisation and fonts - a suggestion
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:07:26 +0200

MJ Ray wrote:
> Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:
> >       1) We shipped these to install automatically with art backend
> >       2) We set the default font for art to be FreeSans
> >       3) We make art the default backend
>
> I like the idea.  Can we go even further and flip the defaults to be
> UTF8 out of the box too?

If you mean the default c string encoding, no. The c string encoding is
the encoding used by GNUstep to communicate with the rest of the system
(arguments, stdin, stdout, file names, etc.). It needs to be set to
match what the system actually uses, and the system won't change just
because you change the value in GNUstep.

Anyway, changing the c string encoding shouldn't affect anything. If it
does, and it isn't related to some limit in the system you're running
GNUstep on, it's probably a bug. back-xlib's text handling is probably
an exception, but that's mostly X's fault; back-art has no such issues
(that I know of :).

- Alexander Malmberg