Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows

From: Tom Koelman
Subject: Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:32:39 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:

> On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 06:00 PM, Jeremy Bettis wrote:
>
>> I think that the makefile package should convert the long names to
>> short
>> names, and the userprofile is good.
>>
>> However, windows checks $HOMEDRIVE/$HOMEPATH first and $USERPROFILE
>> secondly.
>>
>> You will notice this by running Start->Run... cmd.exe on an account
>> which
>> has a home directory set, you are started in the home dir.  However
>> if there
>> is no home directory you end up in the User Profile path.
>
> Well swapping the order so we use $HOMEDRIVE/$HOMEPATH preferentially
> sounds like a good option then.  Any other ideas anyone?

I believe windows per default sets HOMEDRIVE to C: and HOMEPATH to \
if nothing is explicitly set, so I guess this makes the USERPROFILE
code useless.

I also disagree with the swap btw, because as far as my experience
under Windows goes no application I know of (except WebObjects ones
perhaps) uses HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH. USERPROFILE definitely is as close
as Windows gets to HOME semantics as I understand them.

Tom