Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows

From: Roland Schwingel
Subject: Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:18:57 +0200

Hi...

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote on 21.07.2003
19:35:18:

> On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 06:00 PM, Jeremy Bettis wrote:
>
> > I think that the makefile package should convert the long names to
> > short
> > names, and the userprofile is good.
> >
> > However, windows checks $HOMEDRIVE/$HOMEPATH first and $USERPROFILE
> > secondly.
> >
> > You will notice this by running Start->Run... cmd.exe on an account
> > which
> > has a home directory set, you are started in the home dir.  However if
> > there
> > is no home directory you end up in the User Profile path.
>
> Well swapping the order so we use $HOMEDRIVE/$HOMEPATH preferentially
> sounds like a good option then.  Any other ideas anyone?

Sounds also reasonable for me....
We could live with this happily when search order is swapped....

Just a philosophical question, when USERPROFILE is ignored in many places
and maybe in some countries not you have a inconsistent behavour of GNUstep
in some countries... I would prefer a well defined behaviour in all
places.... Is either USERPROFILE and/or HOME/HOMEDRIVE is set in every
country the same things should happen...
Independant which one is choosen than but it should always be the HOME
things or the USERPROFILE things.

If USERPROFILE is choosen it would be IMHO best to fix the space stuff
elsewhise it would be unusable...

Just my $0.02

Roland