Re: porting to GNUstep from OSX

From: David Bishop
Subject: Re: porting to GNUstep from OSX
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:20:32 -0600

[Meta: Rereading my email, it probably sounds like I was deriding OCunit or
PyObjC for not already supporting GNUstep, but that wasn't what I meant to
say.  I know it's tough to support platforms that you don't use :-)]

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 03:53 pm, Marcus Müller wrote:
> Hi David,
> I recently ported OCUnit to GNUstep. Marco forwarded me your email
> regarding incompatibility with gcc 3.3. So far, I have only be able to
> test with Apple's gcc 3.3 on Panther - no problems at all. The missing
> header forces a warning, but that's not fatal.

The build goes fine, the link fails (for me).  I'm thinking the OSX runtime
defines those while GNUstep doesn't.

Regarding your port, could I get ahold of it somehow?  I'm more than willing
to test stuff out, and I have access to both Jaguar and GNUstep.  I'm
ecstatic that someone else did it already, I have no pride bound up in
this...

And finally, what exactly did you have to change to make OCunit work with
GNUstep?  I have a feeling that I will be doing very similar things with
PyObjC.

> I don't know how the header problem could be solved elegantly besides
> using autoconf, but that wouldn't be acceptable on OSX anyways - it
> just doesn't fit into the picture using PBX (or Xcode).

Not knowing a ton* about the build process of PBX/Xcode, does it allow for
tests at all?  At least in PyObjC you run setup.py, which has some (very,
very, basic) tests to see what version of OSX you are using, and if you are
on GNUstep or not.  Pretty much everything that needs to be done can be based
off of that (at least so far).  Maybe just some #ifndef's, combined with -D's
in the GNUMakefile would be enough? (I.e., #ifndef GNUSTEP #include
<objc/runtime.h> #endif)

And last and definetly least, did he forward my message about making all the
headers in ocunit #include-safe?  How useful is that exactly?  I didn't know
if that was something that only the gcc-guys cared about, or if GNUstep'ers
were also anti-import...  (If he didn't forward that message, at
http://bishop.dhs.org/~david/senheaders.tgz is a copy of all the ocunit
headers, fixed to work without -Wno-imports flag)

*anything

Thanks for the response.

--
"Sorry about the whole 'bomb' thing" - Bruce Rollins
D.A.Bishop