Re: Language Setup Document

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: Language Setup Document
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:56:42 +0900

Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Broadly speaking, Unicode defines a one-to-one mapping from an integer
to a glyph
or the shape of a character,

This is wrong. Unicode defines abstract characters. These do not map
one-to-one to glyphs.

This is just the place I felt difficulty to put my thoughts in sentences.
It seems to me that the concept of 'abstract characters' is useful to
make argument rigorous and neat.  Is this a technical term?   If so,
could you tell me the place I can find its definition and study more?

Perhaps, the def may be like this: An abstract character is a set of all
possible glyphs of a given character.

- KK