Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th char

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th character ...)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:41:28 +0100

> I used 'multi-byte' in a usual sense in C.  That is another concept
> different from encoding, although they are working together almost
> all the time. Basically, there's no dependency between them.

The 'ususal sense' to me is "takes more than one byte' - so C3 A8
is mutibyte in UTF-8 encoding, but single byte in ASCII encoding.
I think what yu actually mean is characters whos Unicode representation
is greater than 255 though, right ? From what you say about the workings
of XGFont then it would seem that this is the cause of your problems.

> As for the last question, since there's no one-to-one mapping from
> a set of several ten thousand elements to a set of 256 elements,
> it is impossible for a multi-byte character to be represented with
> a single byte unless it is the one specified in ISO8859-1 or

Not true - as long as you define a mapping for the subset in question you
can do it quite happily. For example russian terminals work in 8 bits
depite the fact that the characters they are displaying are in
the unicode range from 0x400 and upwards.

I havent tried this, but if you take a string which is encoded as
NSISOCyrillicStringEncoding and display it under xlib then doesnt it
work ? I would have expected it to... depsite the fact that the characters
being displayed are mutibyte.

Anyway, the best fix is to get your patches included I guess.

-bat.