Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th char

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th character ...)
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:19:07 +0200

Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:
Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
The part of Xlib probably is out of date. I never touch Xlib backend since then

It's absolutely out of date. Rather, that part of the article is quite harmful becuase
the current implementation of the xlib backend doesn't support i18n at all.

Could you please add a bit more detail to this claim, that the xlib backend doesn`t support internationalisation at all? As far as I am aware from your mails to the GNUstep mailing lists, the only thing that did not work for you was the problem with scaled fonts having a gap after 16 characters. I am not even sure if this problem prevailed for the xlib backend, when you did switch on the XFT fonts.

You may not have noticed, but some of us did put quite a deal of work into GNUstep and a statement like this makes me just think that it may have been not worthwhile. If people come up to GNUstep and expect everything to work out of the box as they would like to have it, they are surely at the wrong place. At least still at the moment.

Fred