Re: apple-apple-gnu

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: apple-apple-gnu
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:05:56 +0200

John Davidorff Pell wrote:

I'm running OSX and X11 and I'd like to be able to use some GNUstep applications on my computer. I'd be very interested in being able to use the gnustep-baseadd library/framework AND the gnustep-gui libraries (framework?) on top of apple's Foundation and AppKit.

Be aware that you currently won't be able to use any application that use .gorm files on any configuration except *-gnu-gnu. (I'm not sure if Protocol's ever get archived. If they do, then you might even be confined to gnu-gnu-gnu, in case the NSCoding implmentations differ between runtimes.) I think GNUMail and PC also have .nib files and GWorkspace build it's UI from code though.... oops it seems that's not the case anymore.

Maybe this would be a good time for those of you, who are keen on apple-apple-gnu applications to figure out and implement a naming scheme for .gorm wrappers
*.gorm/data.classes
*.gorm/gnu-gnu-gnu/objects.gorm
*.gorm/apple-apple-gnu/objects.gorm
*.gorm/apple-apple-apple/objects.gorm

This would also be good start for a -guiadd subproject. :-)
Brainstorming on... it might make sense to reactivete the .gmodel format and always include a:
*.gorm/objects.gmodel
to fall back on, if a .gorm for the active library combo isn't available. And maybe an updateGorm tool that either transforms *.gorm/objects.gmodel -> *.gorm/current-library-combo/objects.gorm
depending on which file is newer (or explicitly using options).

iThink that the base library needs to be more clearly divided between the Foundation functions and the Additions, last time i tried to compile it I had to compile the -base lib and then use an object file from that to build the -baseadd lib because of a misplaced (IMHO) symbol.

This should be fixed now.  If not it's a bug and we should fix it.

Also, iThink that the gnustep-gui project should be split into similar AppKit lib and an Additions lib (-gui and -guiadd?) so that I can use apple-apple-apple with the -{base|gui}add libs and use GNUstep apps (possible? ever?).

Yes! :-) If you don't have an FSF assignment yet, please get one and join in.

I would be happy to provide *some* access to my OSX box to the core developers if they feel the need to build on an apple box. iThink that i could also tar up the headers for Foundation and AppKit and distribute them. (I'm going to check on the legality of this before I do, I believe that its the *implementation* that's copyright, not the headers... I hope) either way, I have a machine to test on. I'm not too good with actual coding (I'm still learning) so I don't know how much help I would be on that front.

IANAL, but I think posting the headers would be at least shady, I believe. Theres is surely some NDA you agree to when installing the developer environment. In any case, I believe there are enough people who have OS X right now that can help figure out the details. Thanks though.

Cheers,
David