Re: Object-Archiv

From: Stefan Böhringer
Subject: Re: Object-Archiv
Date: 04 Jul 2003 10:44:02 +0200

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 19:23, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:04:11 +0200
> Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > However, I don't want a library. What I want from this is a informal,
> > indexed collection of random stuff._ A short description and a few
> > other pieces of information (license? dependencies?) for each package,
> > and an easy way for me to grab the file(s) so I can use them in my
> > projects.
>
> What's wrong with a library/framework if you can strip off the classes
> you don't need?

In my opinion these options do not have to be mutually exclusive.
However, both ways, cvs is the only way to attain the leverage of open
source developement. There are many free (and good) extension libraries
to Cocoa/OPENSTEP/GNUstep on the web all of which suffer from the lack
of a community which jointly work on them.
Some classes from existing applications do qualify for a lib/framework
and should be reused that way throughout GNUstep applications (e.g. the
shelf from GWorkspace). Other classes might be not of so general
interest as to put them into a library that is installed on every
GNUstep system.
Nevertheless, from a misckit point of view, some additional classes of
not so great a reusability didn't hurt (lib code doesn't have to be
swapped out).

Stefan