Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th character in scaled view

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th character in scaled view
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:45:03 +0900

Pete French wrote:

studying it. Why? Because I have to get some .nfonts for Asian characters somewhere or to

Do you have TTF fonts for these Asian fonts ? theres a very good prgram
called 'mknfonts' which will take a TTF and turn it into an nfont for
use with the ART backend. I tried it on a few Unicode fonts and it works
very nicely. That should solve your problem...

-bat.

After sending my previous email, I tried to make back-art work with Asian fonts
and finally succeeded.

What I had did is exactly summarized as what you kindly suggested, though I didn't know the program 'mknfonts' (I wrote some FontInfo.plists by hand, taking a look at
other FontInfo.plists.)

Following your suggestion, I installed mknfonts and found it fine. It generated almost the same FontInfo.plists as those I made manually. Nonetheless, if I had knew it,
I would have used it absolutely.

Now I agree with your view on back-art: It should be GNUstep's default backend if
the remaining problems are cleared.  Back-art is really nice. :-)

One thing to *note*: The font files I actually used have the extension *.ttc*, instead of .ttf. That extension indicates the font file is a *true type font collection*. It contains several faces in a single file. Although I'm not sure GNUstep supports such kind of font files, I tried them with GNUstep anyway. It seemingly works fine. However, I'm not sure if GNUstep fully supports true type font collections or not, becuase it may simply use the first/last face alone in the collection. I would be happy if someone could give me some comment on it. Also, I'd like to make sure if the mknfonts accepts .ttc files as its valid command-line
arguments or not.

Thank you.
- KK

To Yen-Ju Chen:

I presume you are the author of Documentation/Developer/Gui/Reference/LanguageSetup.html. If so, please take the following into consideration when you revise or update it:

1. Add more explanation for the art backend. While you recommend it to others to use, the
  instruction occupies only two line.
2. Put the document in Documentation/User instead of Documentation/Developer so that the user can find it naturally. I think the contents itself is irrelevant to development.
  Also, you can't expect all the users identify themselves as developer.
3. Add some explantion for GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING. I don't think all people understand where NSBIG5StringEncoding comes from. They are likely to fail to find the valid values
  for their own languages.
4. Localizable.strings is not a must to enable i18n support. I think it is the matter after i18n support is enabled. The current explanation is likely to lead others to the misunderstanding that GNUstep doesn't support their languages if they can't find
  Localizable.strings for their languages.
5. Delete the explanation for XIM. If an input method in use doesn't work, it's a bug of the input method, not that of GNUstep. The user never fix it by tweaking
  XIMInputServer.m.
6. Make finer the explanation for the locale environmental variables. For example, it
  is possible to use LC_ALL or LANG other than LC_CTYPE.
7. Add a cross reference to the NSFont object so that the user can make out how to put their
  fonts under complete control (I mean, NSUserFont, NSBoldFont etc.).

Last, but not least, I think people in other nations would appreciate your document if you could rewrite it in a manner that the explanations are not much biased in favor of your own
language (although they provides a good example of usage).