Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:21:47 +0200

Am Dienstag, 01.07.03 um 19:21 Uhr schrieb David Ayers:

First we need to differentiate between -base and -gui. I.e. you're suggesting to replace gnustep/base with GNUstepBaseAdditions and gnustep/gui with GNUstepGuiAdditions, everywhere.

Not exactly.

My idea is to split up header locations into more than two logical parts: -base, -gui, Additions. Additions (-baseadd btw.) as a separate part as it can be used separately. The Header structure for a GNUstep installation could be:

$GNUSTEP/include/gnustep/base/
$GNUSTEP/include/gnustep/gui/
$GNUSTEP/include/GNUstepAdditions/

Maybe there are other parts which make sense to be separated.

The point is, you need a plain header directory (without a "/") for all parts of GNUstep which can ( / are intended to) be used as a separate framework.

If you use the part as a framework, you name it "GNUstepAdditions.framework", add "-framework GNUstepAdditions" to the compiler flags and the header will be found as well.

Would that really work for non OS X systems? Or are you only talking OS X here?

I'm sure it works on OS X but as long as you set up the framework correctly and the compiler supports -framework, this should apply to all platforms. Not sure wether the -framework flag made it into FSF gcc, yet.

Drag & Drop install whouldn't be that shabby for GNUstep Applications. :-)

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/