Input Method

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Input Method
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:57:26 +0900

Hi, all.

Thanks to Jeff Teunissen and Richard Frith-Macdonald, I think my knowledge
about GNUstep is fairly improved.  Jeff, Richard, thank you!

Today, let me talk about another problem.

I'm now trying to make GNUstep fully support input methods for X.  In brief,
input methods are a way of i18n that allows the user to enter non-Ascii
characters (those of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, to name a few) into GUI text
objects with a standard keyboard.

The work has almost been done. So I won't talk about input methods more. Instead,
I'm seeking for your deep knowledge about the internal of GNUstep proper.

To complete my work, I desperately need to incorporate the new input method
support into NSTextView.  I tried it and confirmed that it really works to
some extent, but not fully.

To let it work completely, I need to know
1. The position of the cursor. I want to display characters under conversion at the cursor. I tried it with the insertion point. It appeared fine first. But when scrolling began, it collapsed. (I found the insertion point differs
  from the cursor position.)
2. How to add extra space to an NSTextView instance for one or two windows that an input method provides to show its state. I mean, I have to prepare something
  like Emacs' minibuffer for an input method to use it.

If you know something about these, please let me know. I welcome any comment
and suggestion.  When I complete the work, I'll contribute it to GNUstep to
share the result.

Thank you.
Kazunobu Kuriyama

P.S. Because I'm living on the other side of the earth (that's why I used a
coordinate system different from yours. :) ), I cannot reply to you promptly.
I hope you understand this.