Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:31:46 -0000

Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:
> Doesnt OSX do this though ? [...]

I think that is irrelevant.  OSX is not optimal.  (Right now, neither is
GNUstep, but we can improve GNUstep...)

> Conmtentual menus may be bad - but in a windows world users actually *expect*
> them oddly enough. [...]

I don't think GNUstep should sacrifice its best ideas for the sake of
accommodating users who have learnt mistakes.  We are, to a degree, immune
to market forces and can afford to do the right thing for tomorrow instead
of reacting to what people expect today.  (Currenly, the time taken over
GNUstep suggests that we *need* to do the right thing for tomorrow,
because we're not ready to ship today.)  If we are right, then people
will come to expect consistency.  I think we got this one right.

Aside: Yes, I am a little upset that people want to break GNUstep to
mimic legacy systems.  I returned to GNUstep mainly because GNOME broke
their interface horribly to mimic Windows.  Please don't repeat that.

I suspect naive, undamaged users expect consistency and have problems
with menus whose entries change and move around.  It's only anecdotal
suspicion from watching novice and infrequent users at the local college,
though: does anyone on-list know the work on that well enough to give