Re: NSWorkspace launchedApplications method

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSWorkspace launchedApplications method
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:57:10 +0200

Stefan Urbanek wrote:

> Well, this and many other unimplemented or wrongly working
> stuff in NSWorkspace and -gui is The Reason for either:
> 1. Integrate Worskpace.app into gnustep and make it implement
> the real functionality of NSWorkspace class
> or
> 2. Create workspace daemon with all NSWorkspace functionality
> and NSWorkspace notification center. Make Workspace.app be a
> graphical wrapper around this daemon/DO server.

Neither makes any sense for a "development environment", though.

[snip]
>  From this is obvious, that GNUstep is not just a set of libraries
> and programs, but Integrated (Development) Environment composed of
> 'live objects' aka servers and 'passive classes' aka frameworks.
> Well, -base can be considered as separate ramework, however -gui is
> no more just a framework. It cannot exist without supporting
> processes and resources. Same for applications. Each part of the
> enviornment is like human organ - organ cannot live without the
> body and body cannot live without the organ.

This is true, -gui without a desktop environment is very awkward.
However, since GNUstep is a development environment and not a desktop
environment, I think it would be best to simply not implement the
desktop-ish (like most of NSWorkspace) parts in GNUstep. Any
implementation in a "development environment" is going to be crippled by
that, so it'll just get in the way when desktops try to do things right.

- Alexander Malmberg