Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:41:56 -0000

Eric Christopherson <rakko@charter.net> wrote:
> I never noticed them until they were pointed out on the list. But I don't
> see how that is an argument against including them. [...]

If it's a good feature, it should be made obvious.  Hiding it in a
menu that only appears in certain limited situations doesn't seem very
obvious or consistent to me.  If it's good, make it available another
way.  If it's not a good feature, junk it.  Each feature should be
accessible once and once only, ideally.  (Yes, I class keys as a way to
access the menu... the way the menu flashes when you use them suggests
that someone else thought that, I think.)

> Besides that, users used to other toolkits and desktop environments who are
> trying out GNUstep are likely to know about context menus in those
> environments and expect something similar in GNUstep.

I want to see a good user interface for everybody, regardless of what
they used before, if anything.  I don't want an interface that has
all sorts of eccentricities, hidden goodies and creates a new class of
"GNUstep Power User."

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."