Re: First Impressions of GNUStep

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: First Impressions of GNUStep
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:47:25 +0700

- Windows covering other windows of the same application. OSX (and partly MS Windows with windows that don't apprear in the taskbar) has the same problem: There are two problems with this situation: You have to know that there is a window beneath the window. And to bring this window to the top, you must first move the covering windows. Neither Gnome nor KDE have this "problem" because the only windows not appearing in the taskbar are modal.

(This one is quite tricky. Have to talk to some of the other students tomorrow on how to solve this. Do it like KDE, all windows in the taskbar? or like OSX, a single icon for the applications brings all windows to front. But how to access covered windows in this case? Tricky...)

That's already how it functions (as OSX)

0) sorry, I am so fscking lonely today so i tried randomly replying mail.
1) pin the window menu so you will see all window for an application you are using. 2) hack the backend, adding a special key so while pressing, it display the outline showing the geometries of hidden windows so you know they were there. evil, but see 0) 3) allow a special application (may be window manager) to be able to have its menu mapped all the time, in the same sense of the apple menu at the top left of OS X, add
window menu to it, via pager protocol or whatever that work.

I don't see the use of tear-off/detachable menues. GTK had/has the same feature but they may be going to disable it per default. (There was a discussion about that topic a while ago, but I don't know what the current oppinion is)

Hu ? tear-off menus *are* good. One thing cool with GNUstep is that the
application "remembers" the menu and windows positions, so you could see
menus as some place which handles availble "palettes".
And they are very easily tear-off, as the title of the menu is displayed.

tear-off menu *are* good - confirmed. except that GTK app doesn't seem to have global menu (for each application) and it has to think differently to use the menu system. so it becomes very confusing since it is impossible to know if the menu is belonging to what window.

Problem is that Apple made a wrapper to khtml using "ObjC++", a hack to mix C++ and ObjC code in the same source, which is not yet included in the official gcc tree.
WebCore should be easily ported once ObjC++ will be included.
Anyway it won't be a "killer-application" that would propagate GNUstep, but just yet another browser ...

I am working on a reimplementation of GEGL, which isn't half complete per se. the GEGL library was done in GObject (a part of Glib) and it has a potential to be used in GIMP 2.0. I want a drawing application, kinda like GIMP but will be a drawing tool in the same sense of Photogenics (hope it is its name) This reimplementation was named 'Maliwan' and I am serious with it (even I didn't act like I did) So if anyone would like to join, please do. I don't have much clue about design patterns and it is being used intensively in GEGL. This can be a killer application and I am sure Adob-e will sponsor us. Look at GTK+, there's no GTK+
without GIMP.

- Look and Feel. GNUStep feels and looks like a desktop of the nineties. Maybe it should follow the path of OSX. Or try something completly new. But that is just the opinion of an ignorant, un-enlightend and stupid hollow head.

See http://www.roard.com/camaelon/ and http://www.roard.com/screenshots/

Splitting the GNUStep-Project into two seperate projects (GNUStep Framework and GNUStep Desktop) would be a good idea.

I agree.

Last, but not least: GNUStep is no eye-candy. Really. Maybe a new default theme would help here. Or some new icons. There was an interesting proposal at OSNews some time ago. Maybe some of Eugenia's ideas could be incorporated.

it's not the main concern right now, but some things are in work.

Agree that some great icons/backgrounds should help. I am trying to fix my wacom system and will restart one icon/day project. We'll have ~300 icons/year. And everybody know my icons are great. (Look, I actually said that! so I add.. 'thus some might disagree')

Would be nice if GNUstep allow app icon to be zoomed, I really like it.