Re: First Impressions of GNUStep

From: cehardin
Subject: Re: First Impressions of GNUStep
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:52:49 -1000

On Sunday, Jun 15, 2003, at 12:45 Pacific/Honolulu, Charles Philip Chan wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:39:05 +0200
Raphael Bosshard <whistler@bluewin.ch> wrote:

- Where is the taskbar, dammit? It's quite a change if you are used to
Gnome (in my case) or KDE. Heck, even OSX has a "taskbar" these days.

GNUstep doesn't use a taskbar- it uses a dock like in OS X. So far
people have been using the one in Window Maker, but since GNUstep is
moving away from Window Maker, the dock needs to be reimplemented. Maybe some one can update the dock app that was available in the early days of
GNUstep? In the mean time you can use Window Maker.

I am doing just that! http://www.sf.net/projects/gsdock
It's basicaly an OS X like dock but on the right side of the screen and has next tiles. The idea is to automatically take in all the AppIcons and place them into the dock. (Gonna need support for this in GNUstep eventually, such as the fabled GSAppOwnsAppIcon default). The tiles shrink as more are added so it can take in as many as you want. It will also have a recycler built in. Of course you will be able to drag things into and outta the dock, unlike WindowMaker.

A certain amount of eye candy that conveys information such as the
animated icons in NeXTstep is good. Other than that it is just waste
resources and distract you from your work. You are right about the
icons though- we need better one. It would be nice if we can just use
the NeXTstep icons by default, but there maybe copyright issues.

I have icons I made! I am willing to make more if anyone's interested! some examples are attached:

image/tif

image/tif