Re: of applications for gnustep...

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:57:55 -0700

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:32:01 +0200
Philip Mötteli <moetteli.bulk@bluewin.ch> wrote:
[...]

I know, we've been through this before ...

> > It's a marriage
> In my eyes, it's not ieven a marriage. It's just, that you don't need
> a bridge.

Yes, that's true.

However, C++ is an abomination. It's horrible syntax lacks an intuitive
way to use it (call it style, interface, whatever), it lacks a grammar
specifying the language and as a result you can't even tell if a given
line of code is valid...

C++ completely misses the point what OO is all about. Yes, I'm referring
to Alan Kay's legendary comment:

        I invented the term 'object oriented programming' and I can tell
        you I didn't have C++ in mind.

C++ is one big mess of afterthoughts. C++ is evil and should be buried
at midnight under a full moon in an abandoned graveyard. And best be
forgotten as well.

Why I bother?

Yes, Objective-C++ will allow you to use existing libraries and
frameworks like WebCore -- which shouldn't have been written in the
first place (in Objective-C++ that is).

My worst fear is that people starting to program in Objective-C will see
Objective-C++ code and assume that it is valid Objective-C.

I have no problem with mixing Foobar.m and Barfoo.cpp in one project.
However, I do have a problem with Foobar.mm (or whatever today's file
extension for Objective-C++ is).

--
Chris