Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.5.2 & GWRemote 0.1

From: Tobias
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.5.2 & GWRemote 0.1
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:19:29 +0200

> GWorkspace 0.5.2
> - added the possibility of opening another File Viewer window on "/"

i absolutely need this feature...
thx!

> GWRemote 0.1
>
> GWremote is a DO based application that let you browse the file system of a
> remote host where the gwsd tool is running. You can also copy, move,
> delete, link, duplicate files, on the remote host and edit little text
> files, too.

what do you think about not using a special gwds tool (which is a pain for
every admin, security-wise), but a fish approach.
using ssh + perl on the other side, would give you more possibilities + you
would have ssh-security.
(i guess this is better implemented as an io-slave (to speak kde), but i guess
it should be possible)

> This is a provvisional solution, beacause I use
> NSUserName() for the user name but I don't know a not Linux-specific way to
> read the user password (suggestions are wellcome).

what about kerberos. it comes enabled by default in freebsd 5 (at least it is
very easy to do so) and win 2000ff  and is platform neutral.
additionally you are able to centralize authentication, which is a Good Thing
(tm).

just some random notes...
~ibotty