Re: Introduce me to NSTableView

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: Introduce me to NSTableView
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:06:40 +0200

Hi Christopher,

On 2003-06-06 03:06:53 +0200 Christopher Culver <crculver@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

On 2003.06.06 03:28, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
Create a GSVbox as your window's "main" view, and use a GSHbox to
arrange the "inner" objects, that is, an NSScrollView that contains
your
NSTableView.

Aha, so I put a NSTableView within a scroll view? Ok, I've done that, and the table appears. My application segfaults everytime I click on the table or attempt to use its scrollbar, but I hope I can manage from here.

Actually, I don't know why you are supposed to use all those boxes. IMHO, it should suffice to create the scroll view with the table view. You may want to have a look at Burn.app, for instance. The main window (ProjectWindow.[hm]) does exactly what you try to do (except that I use a customized outline view, but that is not so different). GNUMail.app also sets up table/outline views manually.

I wonder, however, why you want to create the UI by hand instead of
using GORM... After all GSV/Hbox are specific to GNUstep. So porting
your app to, say OSX, will be a bit more difficult.

I assume there's already a nice character map for OSX, so I'm not thinking too much about portability in this application.

And I'm creating it by hand for two reasons. One is that I just prefer doing it this way; when I program in GTK2, for example, I always do the UI by hand instead of using Glade. The other reason is that I think I learn more about AppKit if I do the UI the hard way, which is experience which I'm sure will come in handy if I get more involved in the GNUstep community.
I agree with you here. Having a tool such as Gorm is really nice, but one should know what happens behind the scenes. In particular when it comes to doing stuff that exceeds Gorm's (current) limitations, e.g. when you need to set up a custom view. Then you must fall back to doing things manually. Nevertheless, Gorm is great and once you've figured out how to do it the hard way you should redo things the soft way :-) BTW, how about naming your app simply Charmap(.app). We all know that we are on GNUstep ;-)

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out Burn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net