Re: GNUstep's Direction... Hopefully: GNUSTEP

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep's Direction... Hopefully: GNUSTEP
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:28:45 -0600

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 04:56 PM, thisguyisi wrote:

I am curious. Is there a GNUstep Steering Committe or similar? (Please don't flame about how committees destroy software, I was just searching for the most easily understood term). From my lurking in the mailing lists, I am unable to discern if there is a group planning the direction of the GNUstep Project, though that is implied by its being a GNU Project, and Adam Fedor is listed as the Project Administrator.

No there isn't a committee, just a loose collection of active developers who tend to make fairly random decisions about what would be useful :-)

I do set a list of goals for future versions:

http://www.gnustep.org/developers/schedule.html

although people rarely listen to me (double :-)). To be serious, GNUstep is basically driven by necessity. Whenever someone who uses GNUstep needs a certain functionality, they implement it, and more than likely it gets put into GNUstep, although this is based on the goals we have set:

http://www.gnustep.org/information/mission.html

I also think it would be nice to put a committee together to determine where we want to go and implement those decisions, but the fact is there just aren't enough people working on GNUstep with enough time to do this. Heck, I'm down to about 1/2 hour per day now, which is almost enough time to answer all the email I get...