Re: gcc3.3 warnings

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: gcc3.3 warnings
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:51:57 +0100

> On FreeBSD (and possibly others as well) you cannot even use any
> gcc3x to compile the kernel, if kernel version is < 5.

Thats due to some of the assembly portions of the kern as far as I
know - the Linux (I assume he is talking about Linux) issue is
probably similar. It doesnt make it a bad compiler, nor bad code, just
that kernels are touchy things and tend, by their nature, to do some
compiler dependent things in certain place.s

> I also haven't been able to compile MySQL on anything other than
> gcc2953.

Hmmm... thats worth knowing. SO what does mysql do on FreeBSD 5 ?

> Yet, I had some problems compiling ObjC related stuff using gcc32x
> that switching to gcc33 fixed.

I had those too - though I ended up switching back the other way - down
to 2.95.3. I am thinking of upgrading my main GNUstep machine to 5.1
when it comes out though (a week or so) - is that a bad move ?

-bat.