Re: Rotating text

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Rotating text
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 01:34:17 +0200

jonathon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to plot text vertically, along the Y axis of a graph.  I
> don't know how to get bezierpaths to handle my message as glyphs, and
> I cannot figure out any other way to get it to work.

Simply rotating the current coordinate system (eg. "PSrotate(90);")
before drawing the text would work, at least with back-art. Rotating the
coordinate system of an entire NSTextField is another option, but odd
transforms aren't handled well in NSView currently.

The NSBezierPath methods dealing with glyphs don't seem to be
implemented. back-art does implement charpath, so in that case you could
use the path approach with direct dps calls. However, using charpath and
fill to draw glyphs has several disadvantages (slower since you would be
bypassing the glyph cache, sub-optimal or no hinting, no sub-pixel
rendering or text-specific rendering adjustments), so you should only
use charpath if you really have to.

- Alexander Malmberg