Re: Please help with image rotation and scaling.

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Please help with image rotation and scaling.
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 03:09:08 +0200

Pete French wrote:

> > It==libart or back-art?
>
> In that case back-art...

Well, just to clarify, libart's image handling is very limited, but it
isn't used in back-art. back-art's image handling is very generic (at
least wrt bit depths, color spaces (to some extent), transformations,
and clipping).

[snip]
> So, looks like I am going to have to give back-art a shot hen. Are
> here any thins that it doesnt do better than the default X11 backend ?

Not really. I think the main (perceived? depends on your pov :)
disadvantages are:

1. Depends on freetype and libart, which makes it harder to install than
back-xlib.
2. Has its own font system (backwards compatible with OPENSTEP).
3. Doesn't work well when using X remotely.

> If the ansrs 'no' then why are we maintaining two backends at all ?

- Alexander Malmberg