Re: Network Transparency

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: Network Transparency
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:36:15 +0200

Hi Michael, -

the GNUstep backend is loaded dynamically. You can even have several backends installed (e.g. the default xlib backend and the libart backend) and tell GNUstep which one to load using the user defaults (you will learn about that later).

But, you cannot load backends over the network as you describe it. But with the X11 backends you can of course address a remote X11 display using -display or -NSHost on the command line. (I haven't tried that with GNUstep myself.)

For all other aspects of network transparency, GNUstep has Distributed Objects (DO). This technique allows applications to access remote objects as if they were local. There is a clustering project called Zillion <http://zillion.sourceforge.net/> which employs the means of DO.

Greetings,
Martin Brecher

Michael Adams wrote:
I just found out about GNUStep.  It sounds like a very
exciting project.  I have one question though.  Does
GNUStep support network transparency like X11 does?

I suppose one could build a back-network and then have
it connect to, for example, a front-network/back-w32
client app.  But that would require applications to
dynamically load their back library.  Otherwise they
would have to target back-network when they compile
and that isn't very transparent now is it?  So are the
back libraries dynamically loaded?

Ok I guess that's two questions instead of one so I'll
stop here.

Michael D. Adams
mdmkolbe@yahoo.com