Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 05:20:47 -0400

Dirk Theisen wrote:

[snip]

> (testing for root in a prefpane)

s/prefpane/prefs module/g -- I don't even try to emulate Apple's APIs, as
they bring in complexity that I don't find a need for. I chose something
simpler, conformance to a dead-simple protocol consisting of only 5
methods. The interface to the prefs controller is equally simple,
consisting of three methods. Perhaps in the future, I'll add a few
notifications.

:)

> > if (geteuid () != 0) {
> >       DESTROY (self);
> >       return nil;
> > }
>
> I think it would be better to test for the individual access right
> necessary (e.g. write access to certain files).

Yes, this is another way. There's more than one way to do it. :)

[snip]

> > Configure is for configuring system hardware, stuff that requires a
> > reboot to take effect. I've done some experiments with it, but that's
> > all, and it'd necessarily be very system-dependant.
>
> (Sorry for plugging Apple again!) In OS X, there is nothing I can think
> of that needs a reboot to take effect (apart from setting the boot
> volume, maybe). This is state of the art which should be considered.

No, it's merely an artifact of how Apple machines are constructed, and
inapplicable to commodity systems. Configure needs to be able to set
things up, because on hardware that isn't locked down by the manufacturer,
there are things that need to be set up before they will work.