Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth "support" for GNUstep

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth "support" for GNUstep
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:41:31 +0200

Dirk Theisen (d.theisen@gmx.net) a écrit:
> Hi!
>
> > the Preferences.app plugin for management of Bluetooth devices
> >should be the Configure.app plugin for management of Bluetooth devices.
> >
> >Maybye it is time to start Configure.app :)
>
> I never liked Configure.app and I think Apple is on the right track
> with just having Preferences.app where some panes need the admin
> password to apply changes. Maybe they could be grouped by user and
> computer settings? Maybe using a TabView?

I don't think so.
This is not the Unix Design.

On MacOSX you don't have a lot of device and a lot of MacoS classic users :)

On Unix like Linux it is quite different.

One app should do the right thing.
Preferences == users with no special access
Configure   == hardware with special access for special configuration
HostManager == Network with special acces for special configuration

All in an App is confusing (and lies) (it does not reflect what *nix is) ,
bloating
and harder to use + some security stuff.

Fabien