Re: GSUnit, debian, and flattened

From: Lele Gaifax
Subject: Re: GSUnit, debian, and flattened
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:49:02 +0200

    Travis> The debian install puts GNUSTEP_ROOT at
    Travis> /usr/lib/GNUstep. I'm curious why it doesn't put it at
    Travis> /usr/local/GNUstep, which seems to be the default when you
    Travis> build it yourself.

Because it's a promise Debian made from the beginning: /usr/local
belongs to what the name says, and thus is left to local admin rules.

    Travis>  I also wish the debian version of them was the flattened
    Travis> version. Debian's supposed to be about making the end
    Travis> guy's life easier, for the common case.

No, while it may be one of the goals...

    Travis> I found that the unflattened version annoyed me (I know,
    Travis> trite), and I could find no way to use debian in newbie
    Travis> mode to get a newbie style (read: flattened) install of
    Travis> gnustep.

    Travis> 3) So I went the compile it myself route. This went
    Travis> actually quite well.

... this is definitively what is it. It's mainly made by developers
first of all to fullfill their own funny job, so it tends to be a nice
place for a compiler, and consequently for who uses them :-)

ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax   | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas   | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.