Re: gnustep and lwraster disadventures

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: gnustep and lwraster disadventures
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 19:50:45 -0600

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 03:02 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

FACTS:
So, on this second sparc, ss20, i removed the old gcc, installed the same binary package as on the ss4, the same libraries, compiled GNUstep without windowMaker and voila', it works fine! as on the first attempt on the ss4. Launching correctly the background daemons, many applications build and work
fine (Ink, Gorm, ProjectBuilder...) some others built, open but the
core-dump when working (like GSPdf for example). But in the whole I think it is working. I launched the Test application in the examples and all seems
ok.

So since the two sparcs have the same software installed, I really think
there is a problem with libwraster. Otherwise it is black magic.

That seems odd, but stranger things have happened. libwraster works fine on the Solaris 2.7 I test on. Some window managers don't like how GNUstep does X11 things. A backtrace might help see what the problem is.

Also one frequent reason GNUstep apps crash is that Solaris machines can't handle assigning a structure from a null pointer like this:

NSRect rect = [MyNilObject frame];

where MyNillObject = nil. Which works fine on most other OSs.