Re: Combined Framework(s) (was: Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' qu

From: Tobias
Subject: Re: Combined Framework(s) (was: Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' question)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:29:21 +0200

> IMHO not a good idea, since gstreamer wants/requires glib which would
> add yet another dependency. And I for one do not install anything that
> requires glib-, gtk-, kde- or qt-related stuff on my box.

this is a common mistake, gstreamer does not need gnome, it does not need x,
nor does it need gtk+.

just checked on debian:
the basic framework (libgstreamer-0.6.0) needs
Depends: libc6, libglib2.0-0, libpopt0, libxml2, zlib1g
the only ones, not very common is libglib2.0.

package           -    size in bytes
libglib2.0-0             292160
libgstreamer-0.6.0 160028

this is about 350kB. for a complete media framework.
and glib is used in much more programs than gtk+/gnome ones.

but nevertheless, we will see what will be the framework, when we have first
code.

~ibotty