Re: Should the format used by NSArchiver be changed to XML?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Should the format used by NSArchiver be changed to XML?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

Willem,

--- Willem Rein Oudshoorn <woudshoo@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Gregory Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> writes:
>

> > I believe that we should examine what is being archived in each case.   I
> don't
> > think that anything gnustep "specific" is really being stored.   Only
> enough
> > information to recreate the class.
>
> Yes, but MacOSX will most likely not know what a GS*String is.
> Or any GS* class for that matter.  So for this you need a higher
> level mapping to the concept "string".

True.   I hadn't considered that.  I suppose what would be needed is, as you
suggested earlier, a layer which would produce a "generic" representation of
all objects in the archive. :/

> > True, but by how much?  Would the added flexibility be worth the sacrifice?
>
> About 10-50% slower I would guess.

Also true.   Most archives load in a very short amount of time, so, unless
you're using a relatively slow machine, it shouldn't impact you too much.

> But what is the added flexibility?

The ability to manipulate the data outside of GNUstep.

> I think there can be added flexibility, but than you need more than
> just change the "binary" output to "xml" output.
>
> Wim Oudshoorn.

It seems, given the need for a layer to make output of the archive "generic",
that a framework is indicated.   I was hoping for something which could be
integrated into GNUstep itself.

Thanks, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/laafs/petition.html
--- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---