Re: project goal Re: Release schedule

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: project goal Re: Release schedule
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:21:10 +0200

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 02:36 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
That's true unfortunately. Personally I notice that I get almost no
feedback wrt ProjectCenter (nor any other app I wrote). Now either they
are perfect (...) or nobody uses them really, I guess it is the
latter... :-| The question now is how can we change that and/or who can
help us with this?

Personally, I don't think there is anything that could be done to make me use PC. I'm not saying that PC is bad, but from my perspective it doesn't fill a need that exists. I say the same thing about PB on OPENSTEP, by the
way.

As I said before, PC is currently far away from being mature and feature complete. But I wonder then why people are always claiming that the duo PC+Gorm could be a good reason for using GNUstep and at the same time it is so little in use. The article in Linux Journal did not even mention ProjectCenter...

BTW arguments for PC would be automatic makefile creation, easier file management/handling, seamless CVS integration via a GUI or a much nicer debugging experience in the future, ...

It is IMHO too late for GNUstep to compete with KDE or Gnome, but it is
(hopefully) not too late for a GNUSTEP/linux or a GNUSTEP/FreeBSD or
even a GNUSTEP/Hurd (kind of the real successor to OPENSTEP/Mach) :-)

Nonsense. Unlike the proprietary software world, we don't have to worry
much about the other guys.

Nonsense. Just like in the proprietary software world we are in competition with other projects, and from looking at the visibility we have, the number of GNUstep developers and so on, we pretty much lost this one, it seems (unless you are OK with GNUstep being a library set written by a few developers to be used by a few others...).

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip