Re: API documentation

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: API documentation
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:47:01 +0100

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 12:44  pm, dleeuw@made-it.com wrote:

Hi all,

I have read all the discussion on the GNUstep API documentation. I would
like to volunteer, but since I don't have any programming experience in
Objective-C and C, I don't think the documentation would improve...

However, we could take the existing OpenStep documentation and add
comments to that document in e.g. blue or italics that state where
GNUstep is different from the implementation.

I think there should be *VERY few* places where GNUstep differs from the OpenStep
documentation.  Mostly GNUstep adds OPENSTEP and MacOS extensions rather
than changing anything.

 This way we can imho, and
correct me if I am wrong, use the existing documentation without being
in legal trouble. We supply comments on a piece of standard
documentation.

I don't think that actually provides any legal protection.

IMO the best way a non-programmer could help would be to take the class/method descriptions from the OpenStep specification and rewrite them to say the same thing in different words. The rewritten descriptions could then be added as comments in the GNUstep source code, and autogsdoc would ensure that they are put in the
correct places in the documentation.

What we need programmers to help with is -
1. tutorial style documentation on how to use the classes together in combinations. 2. extending the method/class documentation to cover details left undefined in the OpenStep spec.
3. examples of usage.